Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reaction to Partnership for 21st Century Skills

I just visited a web page called Partnership for 21st Century Skills. The site offers some many different ways to teach our students that I agree with. Our students will be competing with students from all over the globe for future jobs that requires skills dealing with critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, social responsibility, etc. I loved the idea that Partnership for 21st Century (P21), and its members provide tools and resources to help the U.S. education system keep up by fusing the three Rs and four Cs (critical thinking and problem solving, communication, collaboration, and creativity and innovation). I was surprised that so far, I didn’t hear anything about test scores. That’s a good thing, if you ask me. Getting students ready for the real world is more important than teaching student’s tricks and some strategies for passing a state run test. Both the schools and the businesses will benefit from this union. Schools will get technology resource, and the businesses get to choose from a pool of experience home grown potential prospects.
I didn’t see anything that I could have disagree with on the site. The implications I see that could come from this are that students will become more exposed to real life situations first hand. That could be an advantage for them on their resume. I could see some teachers balking at this idea, because it’s something different then what they been doing the last twenty plus years. Teachers naturally, get into that comfort zone and don’t want to leave it. I would love it because I love technology. What’s going on now in our classes, is not working too well. So I’m ready for change.

1 comment:

  1. I think not hearing about test scores being a good thing. I am not sure that today's tests can assess the skills that are the goals of the 21st century platform. These type of skills would require a reworking of our assessments as well as our curriculum. I think that the support for the curriculum seems to be out there (although limited as you point out), I just wonder if the support for assessment shifts will ever amount to anything. If we keep assessing the same basic content without any shifts our students will continue to fall behind the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete