Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Carry Out My Action Plan

To carry out my GAME plan as express in my last post; it would be a good idea to attend workshops, conferences and expositions dedicated to technology integration or developing a technology-enriched learning environments. International Society for Technology in Education’s (ISTE) annual conference and exposition offers just that, by rotating throughout the United States to different cities yearly, and providing much need technological skills to educators, (NETS-T 2008.) Attending these types of events is a good way to stay on the forefront of utilizing modern up to date technology to improve learning and teaching. Educators can socialize, share common experiences, and ideas with each other. Some of the professional development skills at these conferences can be utilized right away in the classroom. The different vendors offer on site demos of education programs which many are independent computer tutorials.

I will look into Neural Networks that influence learning. (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009) states that the three Neural Networks, Recognition, Strategic, and Affective Networks incorporates aspects of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework into your instruction in order to provide students with greater access to learning using the theories of how the brain reacts to various activities, such as multi media, music, video, and many other activities. I believe that digital media can provide teachers with the flexibility to reach the different levels of students in the classroom, therefore differentiated instruction can be obtained easier with UDL.

Another resource I feel will help me fulfill my “GAME Plan” is to customize my classroom environment with authentic real world activities that will produce meaningful learning. Allowing students to be creative and self directed when constructing their projects will help my students put the responsibility on themselves. I think students understand the content better when they are self directed and required to express their learning using technology of their choice such as PowerPoint, web cast, Publisher, and multi media software.

I am presently learning how to use Excel through help with my colleagues at school. I have played with some of the functions within Excel just to get a feel of it. I believe Excel offers so many tools that will help me master my craftsmanship in the class and stimulate learning by my students.


Reference

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located athttp://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/
2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf


Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful Classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning

4 comments:

  1. I realy like the idea of making the classroom as real world as possible. It is something that I use daily with my students. With them recognizing the importance of what they are learning and how it relates to them there is a greater interest in the material. A suggestion to help with your keep up with technology look for a web community or news letter that you can subscribe to that can be sent to your email so there is less work on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have some great ideas for incorporating technology in your classroom. Attending those workshops and being able to network with other teachers is always beneficial. It is nice because you can come away from those kinds of things with fresh ideas to use in the classroom. I love being able to take time to go to workshops and conventions, ect. They really are an eye opening experience and provide teachers with a lot of valuable knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jonas for that idea. TKGrote, we need the fresh ideas to keep our students interested. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. When students see that their classroom is as closely related to the real world as possible then they are more likely to see the learning going on in that classroom as relevant to their immediate lives as well as directly bettering themselves. Also, the inclusion of information about the ISTE. I will definitely be seeking out their organization and conference dates as a means to increasing my technology savvy.

    ReplyDelete