Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How’s My GAME Plan

The Progress Toward The Goals in My GAME Plan
My Association representative in my school informed teachers that in August 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, 2011, the Summer Technology Integration Institute in Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, will be holding free professional development conference for New Jersey Education Association members, but on first come first serve basis. This would be perfect for me as I progress towards my goals in my GAME plan.

The one modification I would like to make is searching the internet for video tutoring and demos. I’m finding that there are numerous demos on how to use various technology equipments such as smart boards, clickers, graphic calculators, etc. Also there are video tutors on how to use software like Excel and Publisher. One of the videos is located here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1OVkw2ZQ8 which an introduction to Excel.

To presently engage my students in a small self directed science activity to solve authentic real world problems, I will assigned my students in groups of threes a two period construction project on building a recreational outdoor park that will produce a greener community for their make believe community. They will sketch out their scaled park on poster board with the measurement clearly labeled and a legend at the bottom. Students will show their creativity by naming their small town, and deciding what will be in there outdoor park. They will download sample pictures of items that promote green on their thumb drives. The hope is, through research, students will find that trees, ponds, no smoking areas, recycle cans, play areas etc. will promote a greener environment. They will present their sketch and photos through VoiceThread. Presentation may take two more periods.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rodney,

    Something i have forgotten how to do is to generate graphs in Excel from data. Thanks for the link, because now I can re-teach myself! I teach Language Arts, but since one of the standards is that students need to know how to read graphs and charts in non-fiction tests, I figure the best way for them to learn is to generate data and make their own charts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodney,
    Your passion for education & your students really is emulated in your postings. I have been eager to use Voice Stream in my ELA classes just like you in your science class. I have assigned random students from my classes to play with the tool at home & provide feedback on it's level of user friendliness as well as some things they would like to do with it. So far so good. One student did a timeline of his life using the tool. I hope that your students are excited about Voice Stream as much as mine are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you mean VoiceThread. VoiceStream is a some cell phone application I think from T-Mobile. But yes, my students really love VoiceThread. The fact that they can pull up their project at home and show their parent,is so impressive to them. It make them feel like a child prodigies or gifted students when their parents see what they created.

    ReplyDelete