Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Revising My GAME Plan

I have learned a great deal about Microsoft Excel. I still have room for improvement. I have seen educational games created using Excel. The sky is the limit with this program.The NETS_T learning goal that I like to set for myself is ( 3,d.) in which the teacher should model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning , (ISTE 2008). I really need to improve my class in being responsible in citing and giving credit for the sources they are using on their projects.

My next goal is to learn and master the SMART board. I don’t have one but I will get one before I retire. They are a great tool to use in the classroom. I think every classroom should have one. I hate chalk, and the boards you use them on. Cleaning chalkboards is a major task for me. I am at the end of the hall where there is no water, and we have very long hallways. To put water in the bucket can only be done in the girl's bathroom at the other end of the hall. Security locks the bathroom before and after school, and in between periods. The science room also has sinks, but they are on the first floor. I am on the second floor. So my chalkboard is chalky greenish. My district from time to time offers free SMART board training. As soon as the next one comes up, I will sign up for the training.


Reference:

International Society for Technology in Education, 2008, National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/
2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

4 comments:

  1. Rodney, I totally emphasize with you about chalk boards. Gross. Keep an eye out also for contests in which you can win a SMART board. We Are Teachers often has contests, but sometimes I receive emails via my district about contests, too. Usually you just submit a lesson plan according to the contest specs, and then get everyone you know to vote on it. That is, if you don't want to wait to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodney,

    Microsoft excel is a great tool used in classroom now a days. There are so many applications, especially for mathematics. Especially for graphing data.
    To overcome the problems of chalk some schools have white boards and instead of using chalks, white board markers are used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rodney,
    I think getting a SmartBoard will be a great addition to your classroom. I just got one and it makes teaching lessons so much easier and more interactive. We live in a day in which students want to know things right away. That is why a lot of my lecturing is done using the SmartBoard because 99% of all questions or interests can be addressed right at that moment and grab other students' attention as well.
    And yes, chalkboards are gross!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rodney,
    I completely understand your position with the chalk board. The school I first started teaching at had me working with a chalk board. They are so hard to use and to get clean, I agree! I am at a new school now and we are all lucky to have Smart Boards! However, I love having my new technology, but with that comes training! Getting a head start on the training is a great idea, they are easy to use, but there is SO much to be learned about them.

    ReplyDelete